Monday, May 18, 2009

Crazy Weekend

Friday started nice, but it didn't take long to turn dark. Very dark.


As the storm rolled in, my wife and I swung by the nursery to pick up stuff to start a balcony veggie garden. I haven't tried my hand at gardening in more than a decade. We'll see how this plays out.


Saturday: a cool day that made for a beautiful ride to the PHP User Group meeting. Taken with my phone's camera, this shot makes old-town Lenexa look... old! Okay, the rusting motor city boat helps, too.




A not-quite-perfect panorama of Old-Town Lenexa. I used Hugin's default settings. Click for big.


Sunday was the family's combined belated Mother's Day / Noah Birthday party. I'm days away from losing my twenty-something status and not quite sure how I feel about that.

Mom and dad found a baby Great Horned Owl with a broken wing. Mom has some experience dealing with hawks, so she's helping the owl out. This is a baby. Fully grown, they can end up more than two feet tall perched and with an eight-foot wingspan. Note the use of heavy leather gloves and eye protection.


Dumpster score: recycling some ATM machine parts. Don't ask.


Trying to wake up this morning. Caffeine. It's what's for breakfast.


... and for supper ... Not sure if I like it better than "High Fructose Corn Syrup Dew" or not. It's different. It's good. I just don't know if it's better.


Sally went on a road trip over the weekend and brought us back a treat from Eastern Missouri. We didn't have to drive there this time. We did have to stay up really late to meet up with her, but it was worth it. White Castle's one of those things that you either love or hate, but even if you love it, you usually just crave it for a bit, then you're pretty much done with it for a few months. Or maybe that's just me.


I also got a pair of two-cycle weed trimmers working over the weekend. Both of them actually fired right up but needed a tune-up badly. This Toro engine has a centrifugal clutch built in. That's fairly uncommon. While I love my bikes, I have a fascination with mechanical things and a knack for hackery. I have something interesting in store for this one. I just need to acquire some parts first.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm days away from losing my twenty-something status and not quite sure how I feel about thatNot a big deal, I left my 20s forever three months ago.

Just make sure you subscribe to AARP.

Sirrus Rider said...

It's not so bad.. You could be like me and be facing 41.

John in Calgary said...

Hi Noah,

Some say there is only 1 solution to getting older....more power....you could mate one of those 2 strokes with one of your bikes and hit 30 mph without breaking a sweat. Mind you, you'll get more out of shape and the big 3-0 will start feeling like 4-0 before you know it.

Chuong Doan said...

What exactly is in the crave case? It looks tasty...

The Unabashed Blogger said...

My neighbor has a true bikezilla with a small motor attached; I hate it. It is loud enough to wake my daughter and there is something about this guy riding his bike bare foot...without ever needing to pedal. The purist in me is agonized.

Tracy said...

I saw one of those on a bike not long ago.

http://springfieldcyclist.com/2009/04/28/smoked/

I hated to be judgmental, but from my brief conversation with him, I suspected the guy may have had a few DUI's.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.